You may have been on Safari, but have you ever been on an art Safari? Well, here it is! Zebra Hills Safari Lodge is a Big 5 destination set in the heart of South Africa’s East Coast. The Zululand Rhino Reserve is a 23 000 hectare sanctuary to a plethora of wildlife and bird species, covering landscapes of rocky outcrop to riverine forest - the perfect destination for your art safari!
What is an art safari?
Q: Do you need to have painted before?
Q: Do you have to be a practicing artist?
Q: But you can be! Do you have to be open to learning something new, to be brave and adventurous?
Art is believed to be therapeutic too! So what better time and place to double up on a safari and try a new experience. An extraordinary lodge experience in the heart of Africa’s wilderness, what more could you ask for? The early morning game drives afford one the ideal opportunity to stop and sketch under the expert guidance of internationally represented artist, Brent Dodd.
Whether you’ve never picked up a brush or are a seasoned exhibitor - this is the art experience you’re looking for.
- Transfer from Durban International Airport to Zebra Hills Safari lodge. Comfortable two and half hour drive.
- Unpack and relax.
- Short introductory demonstration by Brent Dodd in the techniques of both sketching and en plein aire painting for the outdoor setting.
- Ranger guided evening drive that will expose you to the area and offer an opportunity to take world class reference photos.
- Dinner and discussion of artwork styles and individual goals.
Day 2, 3 and 4
- Game drive to first painting destination - set up and workshop for two hours in situ.
- Return to lodge, breakfast, continue developing painting using reference and guidance of techniques by Brent Dodd.
- Drive for sketching and watercolour,
- Ranger guided tour of daily hot spots to refine wildlife sketching and watercolour painting of a magnificent landscape - learning and honing the skills required to catch the moment in time whilst having evening drinks.
Evening - in order to record quick moments in time.
- Evening game drive with drinks and reference photography,
- Dinner and reflection including Artwork Analysis,
- Documentary Discussions of other artists in Africa and their own methodology.
- Game drive.
- Breakfast at the lodge and summary of the week’s activities.
- Transfer back to Durban International Airport.